For eye infections, there are effective natural remedies to which you can turn to solve the problem. We invite you to discover them in the lines that follow.
Disclaimer: these remedies are not to apply in case of accident with contact lenses for example and or for serious eye infections (cornea tearing or abscess, etc.), it is compulsory to go to the A&E hospital or consult an ophthalmologist because consequences of such injury can be really hazardous.
Eye infections: causes and symptoms
Eye infections are usually caused by bacteria or parasites that enter the eye through the touch of an object or a contaminated person. Several infections also justify the appearance of this health problem.
Among them, we find in particular:
Sexually transmitted infections similar to gonorrhoea, herpes, hepatitis B, etc.
- Lyme disease
- Blindness of rivers. These pathologies can degrade the retina of the internal eye and thereby cause inflammation of the cornea.
Linked to several factors, ocular infection is characterized by symptoms that can vary from one individual to another:
- Redness of the eye
- Irritation and watery eyes
- Feeling of sand in the eye
- Swelling of the eyelids
- Constantly flashing of the eye
- Blurred vision
- Eye pain
To cope with these symptoms, medications in the form of eye drops or eye drops can be used or natural solutions like plants and some foods for people who prefer home remedies.
In prevention of eye infections, Lutein! which is a natural carotenoid. It promotes healthy vision and prevents macular degeneration. Here is a product selected for you:
Which plants to fight against eye infection?
Tea leaves, in fact, contain antibacterial virtues that allow them to quickly treat cases of eye infections. Tea, especially black tea, helps to reduce symptoms such as swelling and redness of the eye.
To boil a tea bag in hot water
Allow the infusion to cool for a few moments before applying the tea bag to the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes.
Therapeutic plant, chamomile is used to moderate itching and pain from eye infections.
- Infuse a sachet of chamomile tea in water
- Let stand a few minutes until the preparation is at normal room temperature
- Then gently apply the tea on the affected part using a clean cloth.
By virtue of their anti-inflammatory properties, coriander leaves help to calm inflammation in the affected areas.
- Boil some coriander leaves in water
- Wait until the mixture is at a comfortable temperature then drain the leaves
- Then take the drained fluid and apply it on the eyes. It will remove swelling as well as redness.
Whether it is the plant or the food itself, this product is highly recommended for eye infections. It has the particularity to lessen the itching sensation in the eye, inflammation and redness.
To prepare this home remedy:
- Bring a cup of water to a boil
- Add a spoon filled with flax seeds and stir the contents for about fifteen minutes
- Then remove the excess water
- After that, put all the seeds in a piece of clean cloth and drop this piece directly on the eyes
- Repeat this process 2 to 3 times a day for the pain to disappear quickly.
Turmeric is a well known plant for its anti-inflammatory and antiseptic qualities. It is widely used in cooking and is also used to counter the symptoms of certain infections, including eye infections.
To treat an eye infection:
- Mix 2 tablespoons of turmeric powder in hot water
- Let cool for a few moments then apply this remedy on the eyes using a clean dry cloth.
Our best natural foods to end eye infections:
Baking soda is not only a useful ingredient in cooking. He is also involved in the treatment of certain infections such as those of the eyes. Indeed, it can be used as an eyewash to reduce the infection of the eye.
- Mix a tablespoon of baking soda with a cup of water
- Stir the contents and use it to wash your eyes 2 to 3 times a day.
Impossible to evoke the natural tips against infections without mentioning honey. It has antibacterial properties, thanks to which it rids you of the bacteria which are at the origin of the infection.
Honey, natural solution against eye infections
For eye infections:
- Boil a certain amount of water to which you add honey, preferably of the same content as water
- Let stand for a few minutes and once the remedy has cooled
- Apply it on the eyelids and around the eyes with a cotton pad.
Despite its different taste and strong pain, garlic is an excellent natural remedy against bacterial infections due to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- By applying a little garlic juice to the affected part, you will effectively soothe the burning sensation.
Its virtues are not limited solely to cosmetics, since coconut oil can also help to solve certain health problems.
Coconut oil against eye infections. It includes a high level of vitamins and minerals, essential nutrients that are able to effectively fight the redness and itching triggered by an eye infection.
- Deposit a certain amount of coconut oil in a clean cloth; then place this cloth on the eyelids
- You will see that your eyes will be quickly relaxed.
Used sometimes as an antiseptic against light winds, boric acid also helps to relieve eye infections.
Taken in the form of eye drops, it helps to heal inflammation of the retina and reduces redness in the eye.
Potato slices reduce the burning and pain that occurs when an eye infection occurs.
The potato, home remedy against eye infections:
- Cut a potato in half and place the slices on the eyelids. This will help you relax your eyes and reduce irritation.
- Remember to adopt daily rules that protect the eye and prevent bacteria and fungi from entering.
These measures include always washing your hands before touching your eyes if you have been in contact with someone with conjunctivitis. You should also avoid sleeping with contact lenses as this increases the risk of eye infections.
Never wear contact lenses when you board an airplane and during flight.